With over 2.2 million unique monthly streamers and an excess of 292 billion minutes of content watched, Twitch is definitely the place to be if you plan on streaming your game. The live streaming platform, acquired by Amazon.com in 2014, has been growing at an exponential rate and amassed over 100 million unique monthly users as of November 2017.
If you’re thinking of starting your own Twitch channel using a PC but aren’t sure how to go about it, you’ve come to the right place. Follow the instructions provided below to start streaming on Twitch right away!
Minimum requirements to stream on Twitch
Firstly, to start streaming on Twitch, you will need a decent PC. As per Twitch streaming requirements, the minimum hardware specs include:
- Intel Core i5-4670 processor (or AMD equivalent)
- 8 GB of RAM
- Windows 7 or newer
Also, you will need a dedicated graphics card that is capable enough to run what you intend to play and run the streaming software at the same time.
One of the most essential parts of any streamer’s toolkit is the streaming software. The open streaming software (Free) is the most used streaming software for amateur streamers. It brings all the essential features you need to start streaming on Twitch, with the best part being that it’s open source and completely free. For this tutorial, we will be using OBS to stream your stream on Twitch.
Setting up your Twitch page
Now that you’ve got the basic requirements sorted out, you’ll have to set up your Twitch page. Follow these steps to get started with your Twitch page:
- Go to Twitch.tv and sign up for a new account or log in if you already have an account.
- Select Dashboard from the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- On the Live tab, fill in a Title for your stream, choose the game you want to stream, and select the Communities you want your stream to be associated with.
- Once you’ve set up your Twitch page, it’s time to set up your streaming software.
- After downloading and installing OBS, right-click the icon and select Run as administrator.
- Select Settings from the File menu and click the Flow tab.
- Select Twitch from the list of streaming services and leave the Server option on Auto.
- Open the Twitch dashboard, go to the Settings tab and click on Stream Key.
- Click Show Key and copy the Stream Key displayed in the popup.
- Paste the Stream Key into the Stream tab in OBS.
- In the OBS interface, click the ‘+’ icon on the Sources tab and select Display Capture.
- Create a new screenshot and rename it to your preference.
- Once a new video capture is created, a properties window will appear where you can select the video capture resolution.
- If you want to stream video from your webcam, you can add additional feeds in the source menu.
- You can now select the Start Streaming option from the main OBS interface and go straight to the action.
Streaming software alternatives
While OBS is good enough for a live streaming newbie, there are several other streaming software on the market that offer much more control over the stream and even allow users to get video from other sources. X Division ($199) is one such paid software that allows users to stream to multiple channels at the same time, get video directly from Skype and send it to a projector. The software is also available for free, but the free version has limited functionality and to access all the features you will have to shell out a little money in monthly subscriptions or a lifetime license.
SEE TOO: How to Stream Games Using Microsoft Mixer on Windows 10
Start with your Twitch broadcast
I personally followed the steps mentioned above to stream my first PUBG game on Twitch without any issues. As I used a laptop, I noticed some FPS drops here and there, but your mileage may vary depending on your system configuration. In my opinion, getting started on Twitch is a pretty easy process. If you happen to have an idea, I suggest you cut to the chase and it will hardly take you an hour to go live for the first time.
However, don’t expect your Twitch stream to match those of professional streamers if you’re using this guide. There are a lot more nuances to streaming and getting high-quality professional streams, most of which involve expensive hardware and software. Would you be interested in learning to broadcast like a pro? Let us know in the comments section below.
Games You Can Stream On Twitch From PC
|PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds||PUBG Corporation|
|League of Legends||riot games|
|Counter-Strike: Global Offensive||Valve Corporation|
|DOTA 2||Valve Corporation|
|Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands||Ubisoft|
|Rainbow Six Siege||Ubisoft|
|Grand Theft Auto GTA V||rockstar games|
|Final Fantasy XV||Square Enix|
|sea of thieves||Crude|
|FIFA 18||AND THE|
|NBA 2k18||AND THE|
|Mortal Kombat XL||NetherRealm Studios|
|Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice||Ninja Theory|
|Forza Horizon 3||recreational games|
|Forza Motorsport 7||Turn 10 Studios|
|The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt||CD Project RED|
|Resident Evil 7: Biohazard||capcom|
|Hitman: The Complete First Season||Square Enix|
|for honor||Ubisoft Montreal|
|sniper elite 4||Developments of the Rebellion|
|The Elder Scrolls: Legends||Bethesda Softworks|
|Mass Effect: Andromeda||BioWare|
|Bulletstorm: Full Clip Editing||epic games|
|Stardew Valley: Collector’s Edition||games for sick|
|survive II||Red Drums|
|Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3||IC games|
|Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III||entertainment relic|
|injustice 2||NetherRealm Studios|
|The wave||deck 13|
|Friday the 13th: The Game||weapon media|
|Don’t starve Mega Pack||Klei Entertainment|
|Tekken 7||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
|dead in daylight||Interactive Behavior|
|Elite: Dangerous||frontier developments|
|Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy||vicarious visions|
|agents of chaos||Willing|
|sonic mania||sega of america|
|Ark: Evolved Survival||Virtual Basement LLC|
|Hello Neighbor||dynamic pixels|
|redout||34 Big Things|
|Life is Strange: Before the Storm||deck nine|
|Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition||Ubisoft|
|Deity: Original Sin II||Larian Studios|
|Dishonored: Death of the Stranger||Arkane Studios|
|NHL 18||AND THE|
|Marvel vs Capcom Infinite||capcom|
|Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2||ripples|
|Project Cars 2||Slightly Crazy Studios|
|Fallout 4: Game of the Year Edition||Bethesda Softworks|
|a hat in time||Gears for breakfast|
|South Park: the fractured but whole||Ubisoft|
|Age Of Empires: Definitive Edition||Microsoft Studios|
|Need For Speed: Return||ghost games|
|LA Noire||rockstar games|
|Star Wars Battlefront II||EA DATA|
|the Sims 4||AND THE|