Google has just launched a new payment app called Tez in India. The app allows you to send and receive money directly to your bank accounts without the need to use an online wallet. It also allows you to make payments from merchants offline and online. The application uses the Unified Payment Interface or UPI to perform these tasks. If you live in India, you may have heard of UPI before. Basically, it is an initiative by the National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) to bring you a secure payment method that works instantly. There are many popular apps on the Play Store that use this payment gateway. Some of the most popular are PhonePe and the NPIC app itself BHIM.
In addition, most banks in India have launched their own UPI-based applications. Chances are, some of you may already be using a UPI-based application. Now, with Tez on the market, the question is, should you or shouldn’t you switch to it? Well, that’s what we’ll try to answer in this article. First, let’s go through the setup process. When we are done configuring Tez, we will learn how to use this app and get to know its main features. By the end of the article, I’m sure you’ll be able to decide for yourself whether or not to use Tez.
Observation: Tez is available for Android and iOS. I’m using my Android device (OnePlus 3) for this tutorial, but the process will be similar for both operating systems.
Configure Tez on Android or iOS
If you’ve used a UPI-based application before, you’ll know how easy it is to set up that application. So, let’s just go to the steps.
2. Once installed, launch the application and choose your language to get started. In addition to English and Hindi, there are also some state languages that you can choose from. Once the choice is made, hit the “next arrow” which is present in the upper right corner of your device.
3. Here, enter your mobile number which is registered with your bank and tap the next arrow. Now the app will ask you to grant certain permissions. Tap allow all permissions.
4. On this page, Google will ask you to choose your email account which will be used in creating your UPI ID. Tap the down arrow and choose what you want to use.
5. Here you can choose to unlock the app using screen lock or you can set a separate PIN. This will be used to unlock the app whenever you launch it. I chose to create a new Google PIN, but you can choose either option.
6. Now we are inside the application. Here, Google will first give you some information about the app. You can just ignore them by tapping the screen, as we’ll get past them anyway.
7. Now the first thing we need to do is add our bank account. Tap the “ADD BANK ACCOUNT” button in the top left corner from your device and select your bank.
Now let’s create a UPI PIN that will be used to authenticate the transaction. The setup process will be different for people who have already created a UPI PIN and those who haven’t. So let’s take a look at both of them separately.
Users who have already created a UPI PIN
8. After selecting your bank in step 7, the application will inform you that you have already created a UPI PIN. Only tap the “INSERT UPI PIN” button at the bottom and enter your PIN to access your account.
Users who have not created a UPI PIN
9. After selecting your bank in step 7, the application will ask you to create your UPI PIN. Tap the “Continue” button. On the next page, you will be asked to enter your debit card information. Just enter the required information and tap the next arrow.
10. Your bank will send you an OTP to confirm the addition of your debit card. Enter the OTP and then enter the PIN you want to create. Confirm the PIN in the next step and you’re done.
How to use Tez to send and receive money
Now, there are many ways to send or receive money using Tez. The best part is that in addition to including all the usual UPI payment methods, Google has included a very innovative payment method that allows you to send or receive money from a close person without revealing the other’s account information or phone number. So, let’s check out all the different ways to send money using Tez.
Using account information
1. This is the most conventional method of sending or receiving money. To do this, just tap on the “New” button present in the lower left corner screen and select the account number.
2.Here, add account information and tap “Continue”. Now, you can add the amount of money you want to send. You can also add a note to remind you why you made these transactions. now just hit the “ok” button in the lower right cornera.
3. Tap “Proceed to Pay” and enter your UPI PIN to confirm. The payment will be done. After payment, this account will be added to your application. Next time, just click on the added information to send the money.
Using the UPI ID
1. To send money using their UPI ID, you will need to know that person’s UPI ID. Your UPI ID is generated whenever you register with a UPI compliant app such as Tez. To see your UPI ID in Tezonly tap your name in the top right corner. You can share your UPI ID with anyone you want to receive the money from.
2. To send money, On the new page, tap on “UPI ID, QR, Phone” option and select UPI ID.
3. Enter the UPI ID of the person you want to send money to and click “verify”. The application will check the UPI ID. Just click OK and you will be redirected to the transaction page. On here tap “Pay” to send money and tap “Request” to receive money. Once you have settled the payment, the process will be similar to steps 2 and 3 of the previous method.
Using the QR code
1. Tap the 3-dot menu in the upper right corner and tap the “Scan QR” code. By the way, here you can also tap the “QR Code” button and the app will display its own QR code that you can use to earn money. After tapping on the “Scan QR” code option, the app will open a scanner to scan the code. After successful verification, the app will automatically fill in the payment information. Just enter the money and proceed with the payment as we did before.
Using phone number
1. You can send money directly using only the phone number of users who are already on Tez. Only tap the “New” button and select the “Phone” option.
two. Enter the phone number and click “Verify”. As before, proceed with the process and complete the transaction.
Using Money Mode
This is the revolutionary payment method that will make you switch from other UPI apps. Using this method, you can send or receive money without sharing any credentials. When using this method, the app will generate an ultrasonic QR code which can be read by the other phones which is near. Let’s see how this works.
1. Tap the “Tap to Money Mode” button. now if you want to send the money, swipe the button up for the Pay option. If you want to receive the money, slide the button down towards the Receive button.
2. Let’s say I’m the one paying and someone else is getting the money. I will slide towards the Pay button and the receiver will slide towards the “To receive” button.
3. In just a few moments, Tez will recognize the recipient and I will be able to send the money in an instant without sharing any credentials between them.
As you can see, there are many ways to transfer money using the Tez app. However, “Cash Mode” will be a game changer. I don’t need to share any credentials or scan a QR code. Users can simply use the ultrasonic sound to recognize the other person and send the money. This will be very helpful if merchants across the country start using the app. You will be able to pay in an instant.
SEE ALSO: How to Set Up UPI Payments in Uber (Guide)
Tez: The best payment app in India?
On the day of Tez launch, many users complain about various bugs in the app. However, at the time of writing this article, I didn’t have any problems using this app. As more and more people start to adopt this app, I believe it can easily become the most popular and popular UPI base payment app in India. I really love the Cash Mode feature. I think in the future this method will become the standard for nearby payments. What do you think? Do you like what you’ve seen so far? Leave us your thoughts in the comments section below. Also, if you install the app, please share your experience with us.