Have you ever looked at your mailbox and wondered why it’s full of emails from websites you no longer visit or use? If so, don’t worry as you are not the only one who has experienced this classic email spam. This leads us to another question: what is the best way to deal with email spam so that you are never a victim of phishing? Well, it turns out that Apple has the answer to this problem with a new feature in iOS 15 called Hide My Email. Read on to learn what Hide My Email is and how to use it in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad.
How to Use Hide My Email in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad (2021)
To get started, let’s first delve into how this security feature works! Next, we’ll see how to enable and put the Hide My Email feature to good use on your iPhone and iPad.
What is Hide my email and how does it work in iOS 15?
Announced as part of the new iCloud+ subscription, you can see “Hide my email” as a shield that prevents apps and websites from seeing your real email address. To keep your email hidden and prevent websites from exploiting it, Apple generates a unique, random email address that forwards emails to your personal inbox. In other words, Hide my email allows services to contact you without receiving your email address.
Probably the best part of the Hide My Email feature is the ability to automatically filter spam emails to keep clutter at bay. In addition, it also allows you to create and delete an unlimited number of addresses depending on your needs.
When trying to sign up for a website or send an email, look for the Hide my email or Continue with Apple option and choose it to continue without sharing your email ID. Then leave it all to Apple to keep your personal email address safe from spam emails and phishing ninjas.
Where can you use hide my email?
For a seamless experience across all Apple devices, the company built Hide My Email directly in iCloud, Mail and Safari settings. So whether you are trying to sign up for a web service in Safari or sending an email using the Apple Mail app, you can easily use this security feature to mask your email address.
How do you receive emails from apps/websites using hide my email address?
Well, Apple guarantees fair play behind the scenes. Whenever any address generated using Hide My Email receives any email, the service forwards them to the main email address. The entire process of email relaying goes so smoothly that you will hardly notice any delay.
Now come the million dollar questions! What about the confidential information the sites shared with you? Does Apple see your personal information? The tech giant claims it does not see your personal information, nor does it store it. All it does to keep prying eyes at a reasonable distance is allow you to create a random email address and forward the emails to the desired address.
Does Apple allow you to manage apps that use hide my email address?
To ensure that you have the necessary control over who can contact you, Apple allows you to manage applications that use Hide My Email address. For example, you can completely prevent an app from using the email address generated by this feature, and you can also choose to prevent it from forwarding any email. Not only that, you can also change the forwarding email address of its own accord.
Can you use Hide My Email for free without upgrading to iCloud+?
Of course yes! Apple allows you to use the Hide My Email feature for free. However, if you want to unlock all items (including the ability to create random addresses and hide your email address when sending emails), you will need to upgrade to iCloud+. Subscription starts at $0.99/month.
For those unfamiliar, Hide My Email is the expanded form of Sign In with Apple that came with iOS 13 a few years ago. Basically, it allows you to hide your email address when you sign up for a service on your iPhone.
The Hide My Email on iCloud+ feature, on the other hand, offers two unique features. One is that you can generate random email addresses at any time. You don’t need to be on a signup page to activate the feature. You can generate a random email address, send it through any messaging service and sign up using that email address on your PC. Also, new email addresses are now easier to remember, with “@iCloud.com” at the end. So it’s easier to sign up for new services with Hide My Email on iCloud+.
While the free Hide My Email feature allows you to keep track of all apps connected to your Apple ID and manage them without spending any money. But the process is complicated and requires you to visit your Apple account on the web. iCloud+ greatly simplifies this by offering all features in one place in iOS 15 settings.
Create Hide My Email Address in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad
- start the settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Now tap your profile avatar on the top.
3. Then select iCloud.
4. Then choose the option “hide my email” option.
5. Then tap the “create new address” button.
6. Now tap Continue.
7. Then mark your address. The bookmark will help you remember which app you used that email address for. In addition, you also have the option to add a note to remind you how you use this email address.
8. Finally, you will receive a confirmation saying: “All done. Your unique, random address has been created.” Tap “Done” finish.
Check the list of apps that use hide my email address
iOS 15 lets you keep track of all the apps you’ve signed up for using the unique Hide My Email address. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and go to profile picture -> iCloud -> Hide my email.
2. Then you will see the list of all apps and websites that use the Hide my email address. You can tap on a specific entry to verify the email address it uses to contact you.
Disable Forwarding a Hidden Email Address in iOS 15
If you want to stop receiving email from an application or web service, you can disable forwarding a Hide my email address. See how the process works:
- First, navigate to Settings -> Profile Picture -> iCloud -> Hide My Email on your iOS 15 device.
2. Next, select the app or website you no longer wish to receive emails.
3. Then turn off the switch next to the “Foward” option. Then tap “Shut down” on the pop-up window to confirm your action.
Change Hide My Email Forwarding Address on iPhone and iPad
iOS 15 also gives you the flexibility to change Hide My Email forwarding address on your iPhone and iPad.
- On your iPhone or iPad, navigate to Settings -> Profile Picture -> iCloud -> Hide My Email.
5. Next, tap the “Foward” option.
5. Now, select email address where you want the emails to go.
Prevent apps from using your Apple ID on iPhone and iPad
- On your iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 device, go to settings app.
2. Now tap your profile name and avatar.
3. Then tap password and security.
4. Then tap “Apps that use Apple ID” located under “Sign in with Apple” section.
5. Next, select the app that you no longer want to use your Apple ID.
6. Then tap “Stop using Apple ID” and confirm the action by tapping “stop using” in the pop-up window once more.
Get maximum ‘Hide my email’ to keep unwanted emails at bay
In an age where hackers and malware attacks are always looming, it pays to stay protected through extra layers of protection. Hide My Email can play a vital role in helping you protect your personal email from being exploited by spammers. You’ll need to upgrade to iCloud+ to take full advantage of this security feature on your iOS 15 iPhone. By the way, what’s your opinion on the Hide my email in iCloud+ feature? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below. Also, offer your thoughts on other important iOS 15 features, including Notification Summary, Focus Mode, Safari Extensions, and Apple Digital Legacy.